Welcome to the Chevalets Despiau site
For three generations the Despiau family has been perfecting the art of selecting, cutting and drying timber, in particular the Sycamore Maple. This long standing tradition is coupled with an innovative approach to our extensive range of bridges. Standard models include violin, viola, cello, bass, viola da gamba and viola d’amour plus we regularly put our expertise at the disposal of instrument makers who wish to create made to measure or original models.
Our passion for our craft and our rigid quality control procedures have resulted in us being recognized as a World leader in high-grade bridges. Gradually these superior products have been made available to everyone.
Stringed instrument makers will find in our range numerous solutions to the many problems with which they are regularly faced.
Our objective: to propose a multitude of alternatives:
- Bridges available in high, medium or low sizes to suit varying fingerboard angles and combined with three choices of heart positions can offer the instrument maker multiple, subtle variations.
- Unfinished bridges to give the instrument maker total freedom to create his or her own particular style as well as more finished models that simply require fitting.
- All our models have machine/precision cut, harmonious curves.
- The semi-finished models need only the finishing/final touches of the instrument maker.
- The thicknesses of the top and feet of all our bridges are generously proportioned to give the maximum freedom in final shaping.
Come at meet us at different exhibitions throughout the year. We are interested in your feedback. Whether you are an instrument maker or a musician we need your input in order to continue improving and matching our products to your needs.
We are always aiming to satisfy the instrument maker thereby putting musicians in total harmony with their instruments.
Despiau is also engaged in humanitarian work through organisations such as Luthiers Sans Frontieres and Music Found as well as individual instrument makers who have personal projects and whom we are proud to support.
While browsing our site we hope you will discover our intense involvement in our craft and our commitment to the world of music.